Sunday, 12 July 2015

Weddings

I just arrived home from a beautiful weekend away, celebrating a dear friend's wedding. She is the loveliest person and her new husband is one of the most genuine guys I've ever met. I know they are set for many great things in their lives and I am so fortunate to have them as my friends.

I'm going to be honest though, I was anticipating the weekend with a fair amount of trepidation. For the second year running, I would be attending a wedding requiring a hotel stay where I would be the only one in my (fairly large) group of friends without a date. Last year it upset me quite a lot. I've written on here a couple of times about my 28 year struggle with singledom, but it's not something I really bring up elsewhere, despite the fact it pretty much dominates my thoughts on a day to day basis.

And then two days before leaving for our destination, a friend made the courageous move to leave a situation that she knew wasn't working.  Suddenly I wasn't the only one on my own. And I had a conversation that made me a little more peaceful.

There are good and bad points in every situation. I have the power to say you know what, I'm not going to sort out that washing today. I can do that tomorrow. I can have chocolate biscuits for dinner if I want (not recommended every day!), and yeah, I don't have to justify that purchase to anyone but myself. I have a lot of freedoms in my life that I constantly take for granted.

But then she turned to me and said "I get it now, weddings are hard".

Yeah, they really are.

2 comments:

  1. Ive always liked weddings, even as single. But I am an endless optimist. Have you considered maybe therapy or something? Maybe something is holding you back from dating or connecting with a person?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right about there being good points and bad points in every situation, but it doesn't mean you can't wish for some of the bad points to be different. I think you are so brave for putting your thoughts out there for the world to see, I know it isn't easy to do. xx

    ReplyDelete