Sunday, 22 February 2015

Getting my cook on...

My relationship with food has been rocky (at best) since I was about 10 or 11 years old. A couple of years ago I finally recognised that, although I wasn't overweight, I needed to sort out my diet for a whole host of reasons! I started trying to eat more fruit and veg and wholegrains and less sugar and all that stuff that's popular online right now. But do you know what my downfall is? I. HATE. COOKING.

At school, I had the reputation of 'The Burner'. I've just never found any passion or enjoyment in cooking. And the cleaning up afterwards! So hard when you don't have a dishwasher. And when you're one person on your own, you just get so sick of the same thing over and over again when recipes are designed for four people or whatever.

But, in my recent efforts to pull myself out of my black hole, I've started to take my health a little more seriously. I'm pleased to announce that in 2015 I have yet to eat a single microwave meal, and I haven't even had beans on toast (once a staple in my diet). AND, I've even baked  things from scratch. Here are a few things I've been eating recently:


Honey and lemon chicken, butternut squash and peas (this one was really good!)


Broccoli, cauliflower, butternut squash, quinoa and cheese


Egg muffins with spinach and broccoli


Spinach, broccoli and cauliflower quiche with sweet potato crust (Pinterest for the win!)


Unfortunately, it hasn't all been great. Like the unfortunate time I underestimated how many mange tout were in the pack and tipped them all into the pan. Not gonna lie, that was a hard dish to get through. And I still don't enjoy the process of cooking (although I like the process of eating) and I still hate doing the washing up.


But, it hasn't all been healthy. I'm going to come back with cakes in another post, but for now I'll leave you with a picture of one of the four pancakes I had on Pancake Day (Shrove Tuesday to you religious folk). I like mine thin and crispy with lemon and sugar. If you celebrate Pancake Day, I hope you had a good one!




No comments:

Post a Comment