Friday, 18 April 2014

Book Review: Wicked

So I had a little break from the internet. I didn't blog, I didn't read any blogs, I didn't check my emails. It was nice. Until I had hundreds of things to catch up on. We had Ofsted visit us at work. Ofsted are basically the official body that inspect educational establishments and gives us all a grade, so it was truly a terror-turd inducing time. And, I needed a break and a breather.

Whilst I was taking a break, I read. I mentioned a few weeks ago I am now obsessed with Wicked. Seriously, still obsessed. This musical is the best thing since sliced bread. I may or may not have also found the time and money to secretly go to London and watch it on the West End. But yeah, the book...

Source

Oh my, it was hard going. I had periods where I would devour large portions in one sitting, and then there were times when I literally could not read more than a page without becoming tired and confused. It took me a loooong time to finish it, but I was glad when I did. I wonder what I would've thought if I'd have read it before seeing the musical? The book is very, very different to the musical. The characters are different, the storyline is different, the ending is different. I found it to be very strangely written, with a lot of words that seemed overly long, complicated and unnecessary for the actual means of the story. I'm not going to lie, I had to look up the definitions of a lot of words (I haven't had an English lesson since I was 15 though).

The character of Elphaba was not as likeable nor relatable as in the musical (I feel as though musical-Elphaba is a kindred spirit), and I was not as invested in her as I thought I would be. I was also disappointed by her relationship (or lack thereof) with Ga/linda. But I did enjoy the whole section with Fiyero... if only it would've been longer. I was hoping that this would literally be a book of the musical, and it's not. Still, I am glad that I read it, and I will probably read the sequels, in time. And I will probably reread this one to see if it improves with a second reading. I did enjoy the way it raised issues that are also issues here, in the real world, and the way it examined relationships.

I think I would give the book 2.5 stars. I can't recommend the musical enough, and if you love the musical you will probably feel drawn the the book too.

To finish, listen to the clip below for the reason why I fell in love with Wicked (also, this is exactly how I imagine I sound when I sing this song). Skip to 4:45 for the good stuff. I'll be back soon to update you on what I've been up to in the garden. And how I went to the Netherlands for free.


6 comments:

  1. I had the same opinion on the book and musical! I just lent my mom the book and told her to not think of the musical at all or she will be confused!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes you just need a break - that is totally OK! I haven't seen the musical or read the book. I think based on your review I'd probably read the book first. I've heard nothing but fantastic things about the musical!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you simply must see the musical! And my internet break was wonderful and strangely liberating. Hope you're good xx

      Delete
  3. I've never seen the musical, but I completely agree with your view on the book. It was pretty difficult to get through it, though I'm glad I did!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely agree- the musical? Amazing. The book? Too long with some very boring parts.

    ReplyDelete