Sunday, 27 April 2014

Book Review: The Cuckoo's Calling

It was really nice to have a little bit of time off work over Easter, and somehow I managed to coincide this with gorgeous weather! Which meant it was the perfect opportunity to sit in the garden and read.

Source

This book had been on my list for a long time... I downloaded it on my Kindle once it went down to a reasonable price, and then it sat there for a few months. Obviously, I wanted to read it because it's JK Rowling under a pseudonym, and because I am a massive Harry Potter geek. I have also read The Casual Vacancy, and whilst I enjoyed it, I wasn't overly impressed.

I like to think I started this book with an open mind, but the first few chapters I found pretty painful and I wasn't hooked. I actually started reading this on the SEVEN hour ferry journey to the Hook of Holland so I had major cabin fever and a boredom of the brain that was impossible to rid, so this might have contributed to my lack of interest. Once I got to about 10%, the book got better, and then by the time I reached 25%, I knew I was in!

I really enjoyed the mystery that was woven throughout the book. There were a lot of characters and thus a lot of suspects, but once I got my head around them all it wasn't that difficult to follow. The main characters were likeable, realistic (to a point), and the detective's assistant had an awesome name ;-). Also, the assistant is a strong, resourceful female character, and I am all about women power. Every time I thought I had the book figured out, there was another curve ball, another viewpoint to consider, and in the end I was completely wrong about whodunnit. And normally I am pretty good. I think I also enjoyed this because most mystery books I read are based in America, whereas this one was in London and therefore easier for me to visualise and relate to.

I was really happy when I read that there will be a second book, and I will definitely be downloading it. Although I think it is a shame that JK Rowling got 'outed', I am really glad she did because I really enjoyed this book and I probably would never have found it otherwise. I'm pretty sure my enjoyment of this book would not have been any different if I had not known who had really written it. This was a gripping, well executed book that I would thoroughly recommend to anyone! And, it's probably the best book I have read so far this year. Four stars.


Does anyone have any other mystery recommendations for me?

No comments:

Post a Comment