Wednesday, 1 January 2014

All the Festivities

Alternative title: The Great Depression.

For some reason, the past few weeks I have just been horribly depressed. Things at work, situations in my life, and general lady hormones have just made me an emotional wreck, and truly all I wanted to do was not see anyone and crawl into a den made of pillows and duvets. Unfortunately, this is just about the worst time of year to do this.

I did manage to have some good times though. It was my first Christmas in my little house, and it's nice to sit here, drinking mulled wine and watching the lights sparkle on my £5 tree, with the cat snuggled on my lap.

Other things that occurred over the month of December:

  • Decorating the Christmas cake. This has become our tradition. Mutti bakes and ices (or "frosts", if you're American) it, then I get to go through the cupboards and use whatever I can find that isn't massively out of date and not completely dried up. This highlight of this year was shaking a tube of pink icing and hearing it rattle. Obviously we only had white icing, green food colouring, and a few tubes of writing icing. Somehow I managed to use these to make different colours, and this was the result.
  • Parties and food. Work Christmas party was fun, although I may have drunkenly tried to play the piano. Then a few of us sung carols by the tree. Good times. I also had a meal out with my friends, and then had to go to work hungover the next day. Last night I hosted my first New Year's Eve party in my house, with 12 guests, and most people were very well behaved.
  • Speaking of work, there was lots of it. Drinking non-alcoholic mulled wine with the office crew on Christmas Eve, and then going to work early on Christmas Day (working with animals = 365 day job).
  • Family. My Aunt and Uncle are here from Australia, so we have spent some time seeing them.
A lot of other stuff happened too. Christmas Day was lovely, apart from having to wake up at 6am and being forced to watch awful TV with my family until they finally went to bed and it then wasn't rude for me to disappear to watch Downton Abbey (yay!). I went to the cinema (Smaug was genuinely terrifying), did some late night shopping, met friends in coffee shops, watched a lot of tv... All good times.

   

  


  

  

I hope you and your loved ones all had an absolutely spiffing time too!

1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean about the rough time... November is just brutal. I hope the New Year has given you a lift!

    ReplyDelete