Monday, 5 August 2013

Pumpkin Problems

Remember back in May when I planted my two little pumpkin plants?



They now look like this.


But something is wrong. And I don't know what it is. The leaves nearest the base of the plants are dying. Some googling reveals it could be either a pest problem, disease, or nitrogen deficiency. The photo above I actually took two Saturdays ago... You can see the leaves on the plant on the right just starting to turn yellow. Tonight it's more like this:




So I followed some advice and cut off all the badly affected leaves. I then added some more potting compost to the grow bag and gave each plant a capful of feed. There are a lot of ants on the patio, but could ants really do this? The rest of the plants are healthy and still growing. This guide has no answers. There is no mildew on any of the leaves.

Mutti told me to take a bunch of flowers off as the plants may not be able to support all of them - producing flowers is very costly. I'm also going to buy some baking soda to follow this recipe and spray the affected leaves - just in case this helps.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see... :-(

4 comments:

  1. That looks like disease to me. We had that happen to our zucchini and yellow squash plants two years ago towards the end of the season. I don't think that is something that ants could/would do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is what I'm afraid of... I just hope I don't lose the whole plants!

      Delete
  2. I hope you can get them back! I suck at gardening/keeping plants alive so I have no advice. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I've been putting the baking soda recipe on the leaves so we'll have to wait and see :-(

      Delete