Tuesday, 28 May 2013

Going Green Fingered

It's been over two weeks since I moved in now, and it's pretty sweet. This house is starting to feel more like home. Lots of little things have been going on, and little niknaks and bits of mess have begun creeping in to make me feel more comfortable.

Of course, being as how this is the UK, the weather here is appalling at the moment. However, we managed to get a few hours of sunshine on Bank Holiday Monday and I seized the opportunity to spend a bit of time in my garden. And, I am turning into my Mother as I go.

I had already struggled to mow the lawn last week... The people here before had two big huskies, and basically the lawn is pitted from all the holes they dug. It was hard work.

So my task for yesterday was to weed the patio. Here's the before:



I made enemies of approximately a thousand ants, including some very scary looking yellow ones. Ew. But a little while later the patio was looking like this:


Yay!! I also took a trip to Homebase and spent a ridiculous amount of money, including buying a couple of potted plants to bring in a bit of colour. Vati told me I was better off just working at keeping the garden under control this summer and to start making it pretty next year instead, but I just needed to make a teeny start on prettyfying.


Now, anyone who knows me knows I am big on animals. I can count on one hand the number of bird species I have seen in my garden (three). I originally wanted to buy a bird table yesterday to entice more birds in, but they were all sold out, so I bought a bird feeding station instead. I think a combination of husky dogs, tiny gardens, town centre location and millions of screaming toddlers in the local vicinity have made wildlife scarce, but I am on a one woman mission to bring birds back.


I'll keep you posted!

I also made a start on the front 'garden' (read: tiny patch of grass and some pebbles) yesterday, but this horrific pile of weeds poses a challenge for another day. As do the stinging nettles in the back garden. *Sigh* Luckily it's raining today. 



Next on my to-do list is to put my little table and chairs together so I can sit and drink Pimms to my heart's content. Now if only we had some actual sun...

2 comments:

  1. The patio looks great! What a difference! What is the middle plant that you bought? Is there purple in it? Can't wait to see more updates!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Emilie! That plant is some sort of lavendula... I love the smell of lavender and I'm hoping it'll attract some honey bees (getting endangered in this country!).

    ReplyDelete