Wednesday, 24 April 2013

Bathroom Progress

My bathroom has quite a long story attached to it. Well, sort of. When I bought the house, it looked like this:



Ew. Grimy. It also had a metal corner shelf unit thingy on a pole that went from the corner of the bath right up to the ceiling, but funnily enough it actually fell off on the first night I owned the house! I came in the day after and it had rusted right through and fallen on the floor! But seriously, the yellowish paint was doing the room no favours, but I was pretty confident that the grouting could be cleaned up, and I was OK with the dolphin tiles.

The one thing I didn't want was a shower curtain. This girl here? Not a fan. Brings back memories of my student digs and the nasty bathroom we had. So I had my heart set on a glass panel on the side of the bath. But that was pretty much all I had planned to do in this room - just paint and clean and remove the shower curtain (and replace the shower hose).

Unfortunately, Vati had other ideas.



We realised that cleaning up the grouting was going to be near impossible, so it was going to have to be replaced. Shortly after that, we realised that was ridiculously hard, and it was actually only a little more effort to retile the whole room. This would also be good as I wanted to add more tiles around the sink (sadly not pictured above, but it's right next to where I was standing - you can just see it in the bottom corner of the first picture), and we couldn't find any tiles that were exactly the same size as the old ones to match. There were also about a million holes in the tiles from the old shower and other things that I don't really know what they were. So off came the tiles, and out came the bath. Vati then said that in order to have a glass panel on the bath, the supporting wall would need strengthening, so he basically ripped down that wall to put in some extra wooden bits (technical term) so that he would be able to screw the frame of the glass panel in securely. Then the plasterboard went up, and tiling commenced until we reached this stage:




Then Vati tells me that the toilet is leaking. Joy! But he found me one on ebay for only £75 including delivery,  AND it came with a new sink! Not too shabby. And one morning, as I was running late and had just gotten out of the shower, Vati tells me that before I go to work he needs to know what floor I want. What? Floor? But I guess the old blue one was pretty manky. I wouldn't be surprised if it was the original floor. So I chose an amazingly cheap wood-effect lino.

So the room was painted, the floor went down, and the new toilet and sink went in. This is where we are up to now:



And you know what, I am so pleased!!! It's so great to do all these things before I've actually moved in; I can't imagine how painful it would be to try and do a whole bathroom renovation whilst living there. These aren't the best pictures as they are off my phone, but do me a favour and scroll back to the first picture. What a difference!

So, obviously the glass panel has yet to go in, but after that it's literally:

  • Side panel of bath to be put back
  • Blind for the window
  • Towels and bath mat
  • Accessories for the windowsill
  • Under sink storage

(The room also has spotlights set into the ceiling that I haven't photographed yet, so there is no need for a new light fixture).

Happy happy :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment